Week 3: Mid-Point Reflection


    In the third week of this project, I found more opportunities to use my straw. I was visiting a friend in Bellingham this weekend and we went out to McDonald's after a basketball game. Not only did I get to pull out my handy-dandy straw, but I also convinced my sister to have her drink without one. Please enjoy some photos of this adventure below. We also went to the mall the next day where I used my straw again (not pictured).

walking the path of the enlightened

cool kids suck

     One thing that I found really interesting is that straws at McDonald's in Seattle are compostable (Figure 1) while in Bellingham they are not (Figure 2). It was cool to see evidence of Seattle's straw ban (1) in real life. I also found out that Starbucks is now selling reusable cups and straws for the low low price of $3 (2). I loved seeing a more sustainable alternative than just the nitro lids that I mentioned in a previous blog post.

Figure 1
good straw :)

Figure 2
bad straw >:(

 
     If I stopped now, I think I would be pretty likely to continue. I'm not sure that I would keep carrying around a straw, just because it can be a little bit of a hassle. I would, however, continue to avoid straws whenever possible. It's such a small adjustment to my life that I can't really think of a reason not to continue. At this point in the project, my main motivation to continue is knowing that I need to get a good grade on this.

     While I have had some trouble finding times to use my reusable straw, this weekend gave me a taste of what winter break is going to be like. I already have a couple coffee dates set up, and I hate warm drinks so I know for a fact that I will be using my straw. I'm also not very creative when it comes to thinking of activities, so I anticipate many trips to McDonald's and the movie theater. All that is to say that I will definitely be able to incorporate this behavior into my daily life, especially over the next two weeks.
     After reading an article on how long it takes habits to form, I'm a little discouraged. I think that right now, I'm able to maintain this behavior because I am actively writing about it and talking about it so it's in the forefront of my mind. Once this project ends, I won't have to think about it anymore and I believe that there's a good chance I'll forget about it. According to this article, it takes an average of 66 days to form a new habit (3). Because I'm not using my straw every single day, I have to infer that it will take me a lot longer than that. On the other hand, I'm not really trying to start doing anything new. I'm just not doing it anymore. Straws also are not really necessary for me to function day to day, so maybe I'll have an easier time making this a habit. In any case, my plan for the time-being is to continue this behavior and continue trying to save the planet.






  1. “Seattle Becomes First U.S. City to Ban Plastic Utensils and Straws.” CBS News, CBS Interactive, 2 July 2018, www.cbsnews.com/news/seattle-becomes-first-u-s-city-to-ban-plastic-utensils-and-straws/.
  2. Newhart, Beth. “Starbucks Launches Reusable Cups for the Holidays.” Beveragedaily.com, William Reed Business Media Ltd., 2 Nov. 2018, www.beveragedaily.com/Article/2018/11/02/Starbucks-launches-reusable-cups-for-the-holidays.
  3. Clear, James. “How Long Does It Actually Take to Form a New Habit? (Backed by Science).” HuffPost, HuffPost, 10 Apr. 2014, www.huffpost.com/entry/forming-new-habits_b_5104807.




Comments

  1. I think you make a good point, maybe because just remembering that straw is so "simple", you'll fall more into the 21 day part of the habit building. Or at least, if you forget it, you won't use a plastic one at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you included pictures of the actual straws that were being used in different places as it adds interest to your post. What else do you think will help you successfully continue your habit in daily life?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you took updated photos of your project to document your straw usage. I really like how you applied your previous habits to how you anticipate the future of the continuation of this project will be. I'm going to reflect this in one of my upcoming blogposts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is the reusable straw more useful then no straw at all?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I respect your commitment to a strawless society. However, I live for my sippy cups and I wouldn't give them up for the world. Straws are amazing, and I'm going to live by Dory's motto. Just keep sucking, just keep sucking, just keep sucking.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts